Internal Injuries & Motorcycle Accidents
When motorcyclists are injured in a wreck, some of the worst injuries that can occur are often internal injuries. Because internal injuries cannot be seen from the outside, sometimes bikers do not even know that they are injured or how serious their injuries might be following a motorcycle crash in Georgia. If a motorcyclist can get up and walk away after a crash, he may assume that he was uninjured in the wreck. While sometimes this is true, other times a motorcycle driver can experience serious internal injuries in a motorcycle crash, such as:
- Liver Injury. The liver can be torn or otherwise damaged in a motor vehicle accident.
- Pancreas Injury. When the stomach and abdomen suffer a blow in an accident, the pancreas can be injured as well.
- Kidney Injury. Sometimes kidneys are bruised or otherwise damaged in an accident, which can lead to internal bleeding or kidney failure.
- Fractured ribs. If a rib breaks, it can cause other internal injuries by puncturing a lung or another organ or rupturing a spleen.
- Spleen Injury. If a rib punctures the spleen, a splenic rupture can occur, causing internal bleeding that may require removal of the spleen or fatal injuries.
- Punctured Lungs. If an accident victim experiences a severe blow to the chest, lung damage can occur, particularly if ribs are broken.
- Internal Bleeding. When blood vessels are damaged as the result of an accident, potentially life-threatening internal bleeding can occur.
All too often, a motorcyclist walks away from the scene of an accident not realizing that he has sustained internal injuries. That’s why it’s important for all bikers to know the warning signs that could indicate a potential internal injury, such as fatigue, lightheadedness, abdominal pain, thirst, paleness, and feeling cold. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms after being involved in a motorcycle accident, seek medical attention immediately.
Internal injuries can lead to costly medical treatment, which might involve hospitalization, surgery (possibly including an organ transplant), therapy, rehab, and more. If you or a loved one has sustained injuries in a Forsyth County motorcycle accident, call a trusted, experienced attorney to help you recover financially. You can reach Kalka & Baer LLC at (404) 907-1594. Talk with one of our skilled personal injury lawyers in a free case consultation.