What to Do if You're in a Parking Lot Accident
Atlanta Car Accident Attorneys
After going to Target, Wal-Mart or the mall, one can see how much traffic
and movement there is in parking lots. Cars are coming and going, shoppers
are walking to and from the store, and there is a lot of action taking
place that increases the chances of parking lot car accidents in Georgia.
Some common causes of fender benders and car crashes in parking lots include:
- Cars constantly pulling into or out of parking spaces.
- Pedestrians not paying attention to moving cars while walking into or out
of the store.
- Drivers being so focused on getting a close parking spot that they fail
to pay attention.
- Drivers not looking for pedestrians or cars before backing out of a parking space.
Although most parking lot accidents cause minimal damage, some accidents
in parking lots can cause serious property damage and personal injuries.
Steps to Take Following a Parking Lot Accident
Just as if you were in a
car crash in Georgia on any city street or interstate, you should treat parking
lot accidents the same way.
This means that you should do the following:
- If you can move your car out of traffic, pull it over to a safe location.
- If you or anyone is injured, call for emergency medical assistance.
- If possible, get out of your car and exchange information with the other driver.
- Use your cell phone or other camera to take pictures of any damages sustained.
- Do not discuss fault with the other driver or drivers.
- Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- If it was a hit-and-run or if there were any injuries, call the police
to file an accident report.
- If the responding officer won’t file a report, at least get their
name and badge number.
- Make notes of the date, time, exact location, details, weather conditions,
and parking lot environment immediately following the accident.
Contact your personal injury lawyer if your damages are extensive or
if you have been injured to find out how to best protect your rights.
type of car accident, it can be hard to stay calm, especially when you know the other driver
was at fault; however, it is important that you try to stay calm and assess
the damages and injuries. Emotions can get the best of anyone following
an accident, but yelling at another driver may only make the situation
worse. Instead, focus your efforts on the steps listed above and make
sure that anyone who is hurt seeks medical attention.
Once you have made sure that everyone is getting the medical attention
they need, yourself included, call a qualified Atlanta car accident attorney.
You will need a legal advocate who can represent your best interests.
Fill out our
simple, free case evaluation form regarding your accident case today.