Minimum Requirements for Driver's License
These requirements represent the minimum requirements under the law. In each specific accident case, careful attention must be paid to whether an employer acted in a reasonable manner in the hiring and retention of its driver.
At Kalka & Baer LLC, we represent victims that were tragically struck by an 18 wheeler. One of the first things that we do is to investigate whether the trucking company hired a bad driver.
- Proper application for employment be completed and furnished to the motor carrier before a person shall be allowed to drive.
- Application must be completed and signed by the applicant containing, among other things:
- The driver's experience;
- A list of motor vehicle accidents within the last three (3) years;
- A list of all moving violations, information regarding license suspensions and/or revocations; and
- A list of employers for the past three (3) years.
EMPLOYING CARRIER must also make certain investigations and inquiries with respect to each driver who submits an application for employment.
- Employer is required to inquire about the applicant's driving record for the preceding three (3) years and the applicant's employment record for the preceding three (3) years.
- Employer is also required to make inquiry, at least every twelve (12) months, into the driving record of each driver employed by the carrier.
- Employer shall review the driving record to determine whether the driver meets the minimum requirements for safe driving, or is disqualified to drive.
- Employer must consider the driver's accident record and any other evidence indicating the driver has violated laws governing the operation of motor vehicles, and must give great weight to violations such as speeding, reckless driving and operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs.